Alex Perez, 1946-
Born in Santiago, Chile, in 1946, Alex Perez is from a fourth generation of Jewish artists. He studied painting in the Academy of Fine Arts in Santiago. After graduation, he worked in his father's studio where he gained most of his artistic knowledge and technique. In 1964, he immigrated to Israel and settled in Kibbutz Ramat Yohanan.
In 1968, after army service, he was accepted as a member of the Kibbutz Movement Artists Association. In addition to his painting, he divided his time between agricultural work in Kibbutz and teaching painting at the Regional School. Soon after, between 1974 and 1977, he devoted himself solely to painting in his studio. In 1977 he moved to Tel Aviv where he worked and lived until 1980.
His love of music was inherited from his mother's family. Their musical interest gave rise to many great musicians, including the Philharmonic conductor Victor Tevah, receiver of the Chilean National Prize, who often accompanied the cellist Pablo Casals. The inspiration he derives from music is reflected in the rhythm of the lines and colors in his paintings. On his father Eduardo Perez's side, Alex is the fourth generation of artists trained in various fields, ranging from painting to architecture. Some of his ancestors were also known to have restored wall paintings and frescos in ancient cathedrals in Spain in the previous century.
Alex continued this tradition; his large murals grace the walls of the largest synagogue in Holon, Israel. His vitrages (stained glass paintings) also decorate the windows of several of Tel Aviv's synagogues. Alex creates using a number of techniques: oils, acrylics, aquarels, drawing, engraving, murals, stained glass painting, sculpture in stone and several other mediums. His works are in public and private collections in Israel, United States, England, Japan, Canada, Mexico, Chile, Switzerland, France and Germany.